25 November 2011

From the Primary School Principal


I would like to share with you the best moments that I spend every day in the Primary School as I take a routine walk around the school.
My walk begins with a step into the Pre Nursery, where a child is showing off his ‘Pink Tie’ to his circle of friends in his ‘Show and Tell’ space.





Voices from Nursery are irresistible, so a peep and I become a part of a circle game, ‘Duck Duck Goose Goose’. What impresses me most here is the discipline that the students display during the game. Soon, the teacher shows the students the familiar book of ‘Goldilocks’ and queries what should Goldilocks say to the baby bear?-  the class answers in unison ‘I am sorry’.  I walk out of this class with a lesson that I have learnt on seeking permission.




Kindergarten, a class that never tires of talking, reading or playing. Click to see them and hear them enquire…



Form 1 is often chaotic as the first impressions carry. A closer look and I find a group totally engrossed in reading the ORT books with Ms. Nalini. Some of the students are busy balancing books on their heads while others are on the carpet with Ms. Dimpal discussing ‘balanced meals’. A picture that I carry in my heart right through the day of little student engaged seriously in learning.

Form 2 is a delight to  watch as they talk in their little groups with Ms. Aradhana and Ms. Lakshmi about the ‘Differences between migration and travel’. It amazes me to see the clarity of their understanding as I evesdrop.

Form 3 are seen in little groups reading , sharing and talking about the biographies of Helen Keller, George Cadbury, Albert Einstein, Alexander the Great, Anne Frank,  Mother Teresa, Dr. Seuss, and Florence Nightingale.


A little while later, as I walk in I seem them practicing a play ‘Bahadur Bitto’ which I later witnessed their performance at the primary school assembly.



The hum in Form 4 is that of busy bees. Some are watching the night sky and constellations on Ms. Vandana’s computer while others are brain-storming on planet X and some are leafing through books on space and a little group in the corner is busy, writing reflections of what they have learnt the day before in their UOI class. Ms. Vandana is seen talking to students in each group. This leaves me with satisfaction for students are certainly deeply engaged in their own learning.






The untidiest of class is undoubtedly Form 5. My first thought is always where are the students? A closer look and I find them on the floor in tiny groups in a variety of poses, some with colours, some lying down with cushions and a book, but all engaged in their tasks of working for their projects on Exploration where they are busy preparing questions to  interview a fellow student, who is dressed up as a famous explorer.



While the school has been busy, Form 5 tutor Megha Arora and I have been away to Bombay attending a workshop conducted by the IBO on assessments in  PYP. This was a very satisfying experience as we realized that our assessment policy is totally in sync with IBO expectations. 
















Form tutors of KG and Nursery, Aneesha and Meher went to a workshop conducted by Dr. Wendy in Language and Literacy in Early Childhood


Form Tutors 3 & 4, Aruna and Vandana are ready to go for a workshop in Mathematics, conducted by Shahji of Jodogyan on Fractions and Decimals on Tuesday the 29th of November 2011.
Apart from teachers reviewing their teaching, learning and assessing strategies, the students have been involved in and out of school learning through projects, presentations, and trips which teachers have shared with you every week.
With Winter on, please ensure your children are appropriately covered.

Usha Lamba