19 May 2013

From The Secondary School Principal

For three fruitful years I have been with Pathways- a journey that now is drawing to its end.  And each day as I take a step forward towards my new destination, I am compelled to retrospect on my professional  life that has just been: something that stirs in me emotions, brings back to life memories and lets me cherish many perfect moments I have spent with my students, colleagues and of course, the parent community. It’s a time I experience mixed feelings. And as they say, “The journey is the treasure; and within its lines, lies another journey- the path not taken and the forgotten angle.”

When I took charge as Senior School Principal, in June 2010, there was indeed no infrastructure or even a school building. But Pathways existed- in our collective ambitions, determination and our aspirations, all of which was slowly and with much care woven into our vision of educating. And by ‘education’ I mean building not just knowledge and information but character and spirit that truly nurtures and values every human mind and heart with equal empathy and compassion.  It does remind me of the time I met with many of members of our current parent community who despite their doubts and insecurities believed in my convictions and with open mind deliberated on the blue print of our mission, constantly supporting it with their suggestions.  This was only the beginning of a lucrative and flourishing partnership between the school and the parents- one that remains intact and unscathed even today.

It was then, at the very beginning, when the school was only made of our dreams and not bricks and stones, I promised that you will notice a definite change in each of your children’s personality in just six months time, because we at Pathways have a ‘culture’ of allowing students to blossom in an environment that is free from fear, stimulates curiosity, inspires passion and fuels aspirations. This is the heart of our school- our common, collective culture pool- which has now translated itself into the ‘character’ of Pathways, where each child automatically imbibes these indispensible values. In fact our children are great examples of the products of Pathways Culture; in that, each has turned into a confident, intelligent and compassionate individual equipped with a skill set that will arm him/her to be in a competitive world with an uncertain future. And of this I am very proud!

Now, as I introspect I realize that,  in this process of making innate, intrinsic changes in these rapidly developing young minds,  we all- teachers, management, students and parents alike have each played a unique and yet an important role in making this happen. We have all in a sense become stakeholders of this institution- equally contributing to the continuous development of Pathways.  I cannot but reiterate that just like teachers and the management; parents have a much bigger role than being passive observers in shaping the future of both the students and the school. 

In just these few years that I have interacted with the parents, I have shared the joys of their children, their apprehensions about their academics or even more serious personal individual concerns. Sometimes, I have actively and overtly taken steps to ensure a given situation is controlled or sometimes I took cognizance of a given matter, silently making amendments, but without reporting it to anyone or many more times, I have just been an empathetic listener to the parents; because in some circumstances, ‘listening,’ and hearing them out was just the right remedy.  I thank you Parents, for allowing me to choose the course of action I thought was most appropriate for addressing your concerns/issues.

Of course, I did reflect on many areas of improvement as well, towards the end of my tenure here. One aspect that comes to my mind that need more attention and improvement is - submissions, punctuality and regularity, to me this characterizes discipline. I do see this is not unique to Pathways, but common to many schools across the globe especially in children this age. Teachers and school managements in many schools owe it to the changing trends in dealing with ‘young adults’ as friends and equals coupled with the many myriad distractions they now have- be it the internet, extracurricular activities or the pressures of a highly demanding academic curriculum. But be that as it may, it still is a very important aspect of schooling that needs to be addressed and worked on; but that won’t be easy. And therefore while I thank you for your constant support that you have extended to me in this regard, I request you to extend the same to my successor as well, for there is no one simple way to handle this concern.

In the end, I certainly wish to thank each of the parents, my colleagues and dear students for giving me so many moments which are so special that I will remember each of them fondly for many years to come. It is because of each of you that my tenure at Pathways has been as wonderful. Thank you for being with me, supporting and building on my beliefs and efforts in every regard and making us a fantastic team at Pathways, Senior School!

Best Wishes,

Umar Jaffar
Secondary School Principal