16 August 2013

From the Senior School Principal


I write down this my first letter to you there are myriads of thoughts that flood my mind and already the one month that I have been here has allowed me to connect so much with the family here at Pathways.

April 2013, was when I first came down to Pathways Noida to interact with management, staff and students and I must confess that the first morning, 22nd April to be precise, was one of the most memorable that I have had. I had barely been in Dr. Advani’s office when in came the then entire 11th Form (the present 12th Form), just to see who was going to be the new Senior School Principal. They were so effusive and vocal in their affection that there was an instant connect and I must acknowledge that in my 2 decades of teaching I have never been welcomed in such a warm and affectionate manner.

Over the last one month I have been working to ascertain the systems and areas of strengths and some aspects which we need to work more on. I must share that the parents I have interacted with have been very understanding and excellent in their support to the school and clearly understand what the Pathways philosophy is. However, I wish to once again reiterate that the upbringing of a child is a partnership which we engage in and even the best of schools can only succeed when we work together with parents to bring out the best that we all so desire and know our children can aspire and become!

It has already been a fortnight since school has started and it’s been an action packed two weeks with IGCSE results coming in, students busy with new forms, new form tutors and co form tutors, a new time for Assembly (yes! We now have our assembly on Tuesday and Wednesday in Lesson 2), the Crazy hair day
when we had some absolutely creative hair-dos and special assembly for Independence Day, which was an excellent amalgamation of the modern and the traditional India. 8 of our students also went to Pathways Aravali for MUN training together with two of our staff and have returned with very good ideas on how to make the MUN spread over even more at our school.
Interactive Session with CND Team
So when I look forward to very exciting times ahead at Pathways Noida, I do see that this school is special because of its ethos! Because of its sensibilities that each child is unique and special. Of course this may sound clichéd, because it is one that so many educational institutions may announce as its USP. However, the very fact that all children are accepted as they are and the fact that so many testify to the fact that their being here has changed them and helped them discover abilities and gifts which they never knew they had and all in an environment where they are really happy is truly the ultimate testimony to a Happy and Happening school!

I believe it is the Pathways philosophy that has made it a force to reckon with in the education world in India! I am reminded here of a story. Probably you have heard it before, but I still would like to share it for the simple fact that it resonates so much with what we believe here at Pathways!
An old man was walking down the beach and saw a young man throwing a Starfish back into the ocean. He observed that there were hundreds along the shore and the young man ran along the beach and tossed them in, one by one! Cynical as older people can be, he asked the young man why was he trying since there were too many and it would make no difference! The young man paused for just a moment and tossed another one back into the ocean and said with a smile, “But it made a difference to that one!”

While a cynical world may not comprehend the value of the effort, we believe that it is worth all the while to go all the distance to make a difference to each child. To see the smiles and happy faces of our children and the growing achievements of our school, truly is something that will spur us on in the days to come.
                                                                    
Alexandar Abraham
Senior School Principal