26 November 2013

Inter House Music Competition, Anya Lauria 8A


“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” - Bob Marley

That sure is one thing I should have kept in mind before settling down into my seat to watch the inter-house music competition held in our school on November the 13th. 
There, the music just didn't hit me; it slammed me into the wall and punched me. Each house presented songs of different genres and time period. I’d have to say, the old contemporary genre was my favourite. Who would mind listening to ABBA? There was one compulsory song, too; “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone.
My mouth quite literally dropped open when I heard they were being asked to do a song by her. I’d always thought of her as some sort of vocal goddess, and the thought of someone else being able to match her songs had never even entered my mind. I was really surprised to see, however, that not only did each house do
quite well on the song, but they also altered the song to match their own voices and abilities which was really like a cherry on top of an ice-cream. The instrumentalists accompanying each song were a treat to listen too as well. I’d be lying if I said the judges had an easy show to judge. The amount of talent housed under one roof was amazing, and seeing it all blossom out at once was a real opportunity too.