5 December 2016

Reflections of the New Student Council President, Anya Lauria

The election process always starts with a flurry of words. Whispered rumors about who's standing for what, friendly banter asking for votes. You're nervous, excited, mostly terrified. You get to know the school in a way you haven't before, which has both its pros and cons. On one hand- new friends, support from people you never even knew before, little kids hugging you and announcing that you "deserve it". On the other hand, you might have to say goodbye to a few friendships. The worst part is asking yourself the question: "Am I worthy?".

To put yourself out there is scary. For many, we haven't faced rejection yet and - though this really isn't, when you fill out your application, you think- dealing with the possible rejection by the student body is something you're not sure you're ready for.

6 years ago I would never have imagined (except for the occasional daydream) that I would be in this position. A little bit because I doubted myself, and a little bit because I wasn't even sure if I wanted this. Do you have what it takes, to please the masses, to conduct an institute, to charm even those who stand against you? At the end of this experience, I learned- you don't have to be that girl who always knows what's next, who knows just how to walk and how to talk. You have to know why you're doing this and you have to believe in yourself.

It's not about being charismatic, it's not about creating aesthetically pleasing posters, and it's not about writing a witty speech. It's about challenging yourself, about being genuine, and about staying true to your word.

It doesn't end there. It doesn't end on Election Day, especially if you win. After the tantalising build up, the moment your name is announced is almost, funnily enough, anti-climactic.

Wait, hold on, no one told me what I'm supposed to do now?

Then it's a whole new journey, but it's a journey you can't wait for.