9 December 2011

Read A Thon



Pathways school Middle School   initiated a Read- A-Thon as a  fundraiser in the  school in aid of the GOONJ foundation. Read a Thon is an activity where students read for fun and get sponsors to pledge to pay them for the number of pages read. Each page is pledged for a minimum of 0.50p and a maximum of Rs 2.00 . On 15th Dec there will be a calculation of the total pages read and money will be collected from sponsors. The proceeds from Read-A-Thon will benefit NGO GOONJ who need to buy stationary items for the underprivileged.

The objective behind it was to  unite  Students as they read and fundraise to make a Difference in the lives of people. Parents and teachers were   the  proactive motivators to our students. This programe was launched on the  5th of Dec’11 .An oath ( self composed by a student) was  circulated to all and   the activity was inaugurated by taking the oath and the students submitting their filled “pledges’ to the Form tutors  .  The core committee from Grade 7 then spread the message and each student was asked to get the pledge sheet filled .  They could also ask anyone to sponsor their reading ;many of the teaching faculty were also the sponsors for the pages read  ;It was endearing and encouraging to see our youngsters so motivated in their efforts.

 
Students set their own reading goals .They have  been  reading during a designated time at school. They  bring cushions, pillows or mats and choose a comfortable place in the building and read. Some of them lounge or recline; others choose safe corners to “hide” and read but read they all must ! THOSE TWENTY MINUTES ARE A TREAT FOR OUR EYES AND EARS WHEN WE SEE THE EFFERVESCENT LOT SIT AND CONNECT WITH WORDS.
Let’s hope this fundraiser sets the trend for many more to follow and keeps the spirit of the students high as ever !

Aprajita Ralli
Co-form Tutor  Gr8

   My Oath of Reading

I promise to read
Each day and each night.
I know it’s the key
To gaining brain might
I’ll read to myself,
I’ll read to a crowd.
It makes no difference
If silent or loud.

I’ll read fast or read slow
I’ll read high and low
I’ll remember each word
Clear in my head
At home and at school,
On my bean bag or bed,
By the fire or pool.

Each book that I read
Puts smarts in my head
‘Cause brains grow more thoughts
The more they are fed.

Come rain or come shine,
Snow, wind or sleet,
Each day of the week
Reading’s a treat!

So I take this oath
To make reading my way
Of feeding my brain
What it needs every day!

Ayona Sen Gupta
Gr 7