18 May 2012

My State Championship Experience

The same Friday my grandfather died, I had to go for a state championship tournament. My parents asked me if wanted to leave the tournament but I said that I am going to win the tournament for him. When I reached the venue I was taken aback as I was the sixteenth seed. Then I became worried about the tournament. The first two rounds were easy but the third round was tough but after a long time I finally won. At the end of the end of the first day I was coming sixth. On the second day, I lost the first game and thought that my championship dreams were shattered. Then I beat a good player easily because I was very angry at myself. Then came the toughest matches which had up and downs. It took me three and a half hours to win it. The last match was controversial as my opponent did not agree with the referee’s decision and eventually lost the game. After that game, I did not think I would come first even though second place was assured. But I won the default tiebreaker by .5 points. I got to know that I won from the internet, I was confused because happy but sad at the same time as my grandfather was not there to see it.


Saideep Ganesh
Form 5