14 September 2015

CAS trip to Auroville - August 24th to 28th’ 2015 by Majda Jabeen Fatima, Gr 12

I have very fond memories of my amazing trip to Auroville. It was indeed a lifetime experience with great learnings. The most interesting aspect of the trip was the excellent cross-cultural interaction with the local rural peers as well as with the Turkish co-participants. Both the cultures were equally new to me.

It has always been my passion to teach young school kids and the 12-hours
of teaching at the school in the village Edayanchavdhi, in Auroville, was very interesting. The lamguage barrier never bothered me. I was surprised to see the discipline, enthusiasm to learn and some great talents in these young children. I found the aspirations of these children no different from the children of Sai Bal Sansar School in Noida, whom I teach during my CAS service lessons.

Some of the other highlights of the trip were the full moon walk in the forest. It was a very different experience with a mix of fear and quest for exploring something new. The forest was exceptionally quite, which according to our guide was not normal.
The musical therapy was again a first time experience and was very relaxing and refreshing. It was also good to learn about the cross-cultural experiments that are being conducted in Auroville. Lastly, I managed to make some very good cross-border friends from Turkey with lot of exchanges about the Turkish culture.

The arrangements of logistics by MindVisa was very good. There was never any lack of coordination and the hotel and food arrangements were great. The variation in the cuisines was also in line with the overall cross-cultural experiences during the trip.

Overall, I would rate my trip experience as an outstanding one with great cross-cultural learning and renewed feeling of responsibility towards the underprivileged and the community as a whole.